Thursday, March 17, 2011

Tiny Pies!

How cute are these?! I def. will be making these :)

Not Martha

to make: tiny pies


For a while I had been thinking about small food — as in “Look at me, I am a GIANT!” small food. My plans included little poussin, Brussels sprouts, little dinner rolls, and itty bitty pies. I have a small muffin pan with shallow, curved shapes (maybe for dinner rolls?) that I thought would be good for the shape (the standard 5″ small pie tin was considered but voted too large). I also tried some mini pies in regular muffin tins.


I used the standard refrigerated Pillsbury pie crusts, and cut out round shapes using a biscuit cutter and some cups from around the kitchen. I winged some apple and blueberry pie filling based on some basic recipes — I didn’t measure anything just threw in a little bit of sugar, a tiny bit of lemon zest, and a dash of cinnamon (when I decide to wing it things rarely work out, but this time they did!). I cut the apple into mini slices. I couldn’t find any sour cherries at the store (I don’t really know why I was so fixated on finding sour cherries) so I used a canned pie filling.


I even tried a few miniature lattice tops using the technique described at the bottom of this page and sort of illustrated and described here.


The pies were baked in a 375 degree oven for ten minutes and then checked. If the tops were getting very brown I covered them lightly with foil (like a crust shield but for the whole pie) and baked for 3 to 5 minutes more until bubbly. I was worried that the apple wouldn’t be cooked enough but it came out fine on both of my tests.


I suspect some sparkly sanding sugar thrown on top, or perhaps this water and sugar techinique would be great for these.


The tiny pies were surprisingly yummy, very easy, and provided a good crust-to-filling ratio. If you have a few people over everybody can choose their favorite types of pie. Also, if you leave out the ice cream they are a food you can eat while walking. I wonder if they would freeze well? I think they would be really great at a bake sale.



http://www.notmartha.org/tomake/tinypies/

No comments:

Post a Comment